Wednesday, June 20, 2012

The Replacement by Brenna Yovanoff

I really enjoyed reading this book. It's a quick, relaxing read that's perfect for a lazy weekend. I give it a 4 out of 5 and here's why.

When I first opened the book, it wasn't to the first chapter, or even a prologue, it was a letter from the author, which was short and sweet just like the rest of the book. I liked that. Straight from the beginning, before the story even started, I already knew why this story was written and what it was really about; letting go of all inhibitions and just being yourself. That it's okay to love and be allowed to be loved just as you are, something that every person should remember.

The characters themselves were a lot of fun. Each one had a very distinct personality, each one adding it's own quirk to the story. I didn't feel that any of the characters were there to just fill up space, but were useful to the plot.

Overall, I found that the story moved smoothly and quickly. I didn't feel like there was a lot of useless information or characters, there wasn't too much going on and unlike our last book, I wasn't begging for the story to hurry up and end because I was bored. Instead, I found this read to be thoroughly entertaining, with it's brief love scenes, mystery, moments of suspense, and brief but enjoyable humor.

So, why 4 out of 5 instead of just an all out 5? I was able to predict the ending halfway through the book, but to be fair, there were no other options for the ending.

Right now the author only has two books out, The Replacement and The Space Between. I'll be adding The Space Between to my GoodReads list, "to-read" and will probably use it for the club at some point. But I really look forward to more of her books.


No comments:

Post a Comment